Have begun a weight-loss journey. Mind, I've done this many times before, but with little long-lasting success. I give up too easily. I tend to think I'm not worth it. Told Gary that the other night and he said instead of doing this for me, to do it for him and the kids. That was sweet, but for some reason it didn't set well. That comment made it clear that he also believes that I need to work on losing weight (which, of course, I know). In my heart of hearts, would prefer other folks to think that I look perfect (joke's on me), even though I know this isn't the case. Pretty unrealistic to put that sort of pressure on him, when I know darn well that I have work to do.
So. Read most of The Rosedale Diet, and it's full of good stuff, but a bit unreasonable with having to cook for 10 folks. I can't, really can't do one thing for me and something else for them. Besides the expense would wipe me out.
I've read what Dr. Gott has to say as well, and figure I'll cull different things from what I know. I realize I'm an emotional eater---going to food when stressed like an alcoholic goes to the liquor. It's a crutch. What I'd like to know is the why. It's well and good to lose weight, but I'm thinking that if I don't get to the bottom of my triggers, I'll fail again.
I remember as a kid running to grab something to eat when I was frustrated. In our house, things weren't discussed or argued over. The silent treatment was the way to settle an argument. Avoidance was key. Then the issue would supposedly blow over, but we all know that really wasn't the case. Wonder if I began pacifying myself with eating to deal with the stress of our family not ever letting things be spoken out loud. Will have to journal and puzzle over that one, I guess.
So for now, am avoiding sugar and bread. Today, I'm good. That's another thing. If I slip up once, it's easy to give up completely. Small steps. I know-know-know I feel better physically when I don't eat sugar. Have been tested and don't have diabetic issues. That's a plus, but still, have some sort of sugar sensitivity.

We didn't talk about things either. Maybe that's why I went to the other extreme and talked too much. Which is worse? lol Probably my solution.
ReplyDeleteI think sugar and high carb foods are triggers for me, because when I avoid them I don't feel hungry all the time.
God bless you, my friend, as you seek to shrink! ;)
Good start. Maybe I would join you.
ReplyDeleteHi Melissa! I wish you well on your food attitude adjustment project...it is not easy to change eating habits as we all know. Here I am the same weight as I was one month ago when I decided to do something about downsizing. I keep forgetting to follow my own rules: eat one-half as much as a normal portion (except veggies and fruit), take small bites, chew slowly, concentrate on the food and nothing else. However, I will join you and get back on the bandwagon...perhaps we can help keep each other accountable.
ReplyDeleteI know exactly what you mean, though in my case I simply want people to take me as I am - I'm the same person thick or thin, as it were.
ReplyDeleteWe must be on exactly the same wavelength, as I've thought of starting a blog specifically for the weight loss journey I'm on. I'm not as brave as you; I want it not only separate from my regular blog, but under a different name, in a different place, so friends in real life cannot find it. Why is it that people can be so discouraging?
Ooookay...I had a long comment, but had to sign in to google, so it must have gotten lost. Short version: Same wavelength, but want my weight loss blog private from in real life friends, who are often incredibly unsupportive in their support, if you get me.
ReplyDeleteYou're on the right track, I think! I've heard that the way to cut back on sugar is to have sugar-free days..increasing them as you journey on. It's just too hard to cut out sugar completely all at once. And you won't have to feel bad indulging once in a while, what with all your kids baking and bringing you treats! I'm cheering for you!
ReplyDelete