I had to laugh last night, though not a very hearty laugh. When the least one brought Miss Piggle-Wiggle down to our bed for me to read to her last night she also brought each of us a small bowl of ice cream. And one of our boys brought me home a Reese's Peanut Butter cup from the drugstore after work. And oldest daughter made cookies this afternoon. The temptations are there, but today it's okay. Humor is key.
Am reminded of what Gwen Shamblin (of Weigh Down Workshop fame) said and it was something to the effect that if you label certain foods as BAD, then you'll equate yourself with being bad by eating them. Better to use control over portions as the rule rather than constantly saying no-no to yourself.
That makes sense. And while I'd like to eradicate the sugar from my diet, at least for awhile, I'm thinking adjusting it might be necessary. Seems it'll be hard to go great guns.
Did I say something about an Internet break?? We're all tempted no matter what it is. :-P
ReplyDeleteI like the idea of portion control over saying "no" to certain foods (unless it's for health reasons that you have to say "no"). I lost weight doing portion control. And you know what? Food, especially dessert, was more enjoyable because I only ate until I stopped enjoying it, which was after about 3-4 bites. After that it wasn't so tasty. Kind of like when you get just a few gifts at Christmas, rather than a big load of stuff. At some point the enjoyment of it wanes. Isn't that what the Tightwad lady said once?
I think we do a lot of mindless eating, not enjoying our food except during the first few bites. The rest is just shoveled in without us thinking about why we're still shoveling.